Vietnam’s General Census reported a population of 86 million on April 1, an increase of 9.5 million over the past decade. This would make Vietnam the 13th most populous country in the world.
The census reported:
- More than 7,200 Vietnamese people are over 100 years old.
- Ho Chi Minh City has about 7,123,000 people
- Hanoi’s population is 6,448,000
- 43% of Vietnamese live in the Red River and Mekong Delta
- 30% of Vietnam’s people live in urban areas.
The census is intended to provide a basis for evaluating the socio-economic development strategy of the past decade and for working out a strategy for the 10 next years at both national and provincial levels.
More on Vietnam’s April 2009 census